Monday, July 21, 2014

Table Rock at Bandon, Oregon Coast

C1539
“High Tide at Table Rock”
(Bandon, Oregon Coast)
Oil Sketch on Centurion Oil Primed Linen Panel
5” x 7”


From last October in the Colorado Rockies we are going to fast forward a bit to the 2nd of January 2014, to Bandon on the south-central coast of Oregon.  I had arrived on the Oregon Coast at the beginning of November for an Exhibition of Small Oils in Bandon, and spent the whole month painting seascapes.  I returned to my base in Yamhill County for 3 weeks in December, and returned to the Coast for two weeks over the Christmas period, camping in the National Forest, and painting.  This painting of is representative of these seascapes.  More will appear as time goes on as many are in several Galleries at present.  The Oregon Coast reminds me of the North Coast of Cornwall, England, except it has forests on the cliff-tops and Cornwall does not, and Bandon reminds me of several Cornish seaside towns.  The beach here at Bandon is riddled with islands and sea-stack, and so provides many varied and interesting views to paint.  I’ve been taking full advantage of this and will continue to do so over time. 

I first laid down a transparent imprimatura of Burnt Sienna to provide a medium tone to work on when I began the painting.

The pigments used were: Yellow Ochre, Venetian Red, Cobalt Blue & Titanium White.  As you see I limited my palette to three colours and white, two being earth colours and thus a more harmonious colour scheme.  I had been painting most of November with this small palette and was happy with the variety of greens I was still able to get with just Cobalt Blue and Yellow Ochre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comments. If you have read "the Journey" Tab you will know that my time online is usually limited; I trust you will understand that I may not be able to reply to comments or specific questions, but that perhaps they might be addressed in future posts.